This is a special ultralight basket for competitiveflying, it has aluminum frames and a composite floor.
The Sport basket was designed to extend the supreme series of eXtreme Racer balloons. The main idea was to reduce the weight of the basket to a minimum, while keeping all the advantages of rattan and a floor area that is perfect for competitive flying. The total weight of the basket without equipment is less than 40 kg. Fully equipped it is around 45 kg instead of 80 kg for similar regular basket.
The basket is built for a pilot and his co-pilot/observer + 4 fuel cylinders (pilot + 2 passengers and 3 cylinders is an option). To save weight the basket is 1 m high and the burner height is lowered from 1.86 m to 1.76 m. We suggest that you consider one of the three options to raise the height of the burner:
- Specify longer poles
- Use a variable height burner frame
- increase the basket height
The basket is designed to take 30 kg fuel cylinders however the height of the basket can be increased to accommodate 40 kg fuel cylinders. Sport baskets are made in two versions, one where one cylinder goes in each corner and the other where 3 cylinders fit along one side (very useful as a desk for competitions) and the 4th goes into one of the other corners.
Ultralight Basket Technology
The main elements used to reduce the weight of these baskets are:
- Aluminum instead of steel basket frames.
- Composite floor instead of plywood (this composite material was designed specifically for these baskets),
- Lighter top handles instead of a rope going all around the basket,
- Open weave on two sides.
Dimensions and Weights
|Type||Optimal # of Passengers||Suggested Envelope Size||Dimensions [m]*||Typical weight [kg]**||Standard Cylinder Size***||Height of Burner Handle above Floor [m]|
|K13 Sport||Pilot + 2||XR envelopes||1.2 x 1.0||45||Queen||1.76|
* This is the exact dimension of the bottom outer part of a basket. For loading the basket into a vehicle we recommend to add 8 - 10 cm (3 - 4 inch) for handles and 15 - 20 cm (6 - 8 inch) for top padding.
** This is an average weight for a basket with standard equipment (including pocket, fire extinguisher, dropline, etc.).
*** Baskets designed to fit the Queen size cylinders can be on request built to accommodate the King size cylinders.
Suitable certified combinations of baskets, burners, and envelopes are listed in this table.